“Love yourself to love others”. This phrase fits a caregiver in a very apt way. Being a caregiver is a stressful job. The anxiety and negativity of a challenged senior can rub on to you. Caring for your parents is an honor. But if you are too involved with it then it can bring a great amount of stress. You should find ways to unwind yourself and pull yourself out of the situation from time to time.
Old age comes with its own challenges, be it physical or mental. It is a stage in life where the seniors may need the help of their adult children or grandchildren to cope up. And for adult children, it is an added responsibility. Apart from daily chores in life, you have to care for your parents as well. Stress can be from the
- Financial point of view- expense of medicine, doctors, caregivers etc.
- Clash between the spouses – if they are not on the same page with caregiving.
- Social withdrawal – caregiving for your parents may not leave you with enough time to socialize.
Stress can lead towards irritability, weight gain, burnout, sleep deprivation etc. Hence it is very important to follow the self-care tips for occupied caregivers. If you don’t take proper care of yourself then it can prove fatal to you. You need some kind of stress buster in your life to keep yourself sane and going.
Self-care tips for occupied caregivers can be:
- Ask for help: Not everyone can do everything. So wherever you feel the need, shout out for help. This can include friends, family, care organizations, social groups etc.
- Your health, your priority: As a caregiver, you need to be in proper shape, physically as well as mentally. Only when you are physically and mentally fit, will you be able to take care of your parents. Taking time to meditate or do yoga or go for a walk or run can refresh you and give you stamina to care better.
- Make a list: A to-do list is very handy when you have a mammoth of a task like caring. Making a list will help you prioritize your tasks and organize your time.
- Laugh: Laughter is the best medicine. Find laughter in small events of your life. Include it as a To-do activity on your list.
- Sleep: Sleep well to restore your energy.
If you need assistance in caregiving, visit us at www.youcare.in. We provide trained and professional caregivers who can help you unburden yourself with the physical aspects of caregiving. Call 844-844-97-99 to discuss your alternatives with our care managers.